We talk quite a bit about where the Expedition camped on the Missouri and Marias Rivers as they made their way across the state. They made side trips to figure out what rivers to take to the Rockies and split into as many as eleven groups in 1806.
But there were several stops made on the wide bottoms where the Teton River courses across the prairies. These camps or rest stops were much more casually referred to making it much more difficult to pinpoint their locations.
Clark camped on the Teton June 5, 1805 on his return from exploring which river to take from the confluence of the Marias. His description of the location makes it to be somewhere a few miles upriver from the highway that goes from Fort Benton to Chester.
Gass camped on the Teton July 27, 1806 when he and Willard were taking the horses overland to the Marias. His description is vague, but they probably camped near Clark’s camp of the year before.
On his trip to explore the upper reaches of the Marias Lewis stopped at the Teton the night of July 17, 1806. He set his course that morning from the Great Falls at N10W. That course would put his camp somewhere about six miles east of “Dent Bridge” which is northwest of Carter.
Lewis described the area he was in as a wide bottom, well timbered with wide and narrow leaf cottonwoods. The hills on the sides are 100 to 150 feet high. He summed it up by saying it was a miniature version of the Missouri River. He went on to describe the river as 50 yards wide with the water running 35 feet wide and three feet deep. This was vintage Lewis carefully describing the areas he passed through.
The other significant piece of information on camp/rest stop locations was when Lewis noted on the afternoon of July 27, 1806, after he hurriedly left the Two Medicine, they reached the Teton about five miles above where they camped ten days earlier. They only stopped here for both men and horses to eat and rest a bit after a 63 mile run across the prairies escaping further adventure with the Blackfeet. When they pushed on they followed the river bottom for a while but they had to keep crossing the river as it wandered across the bottoms. They gave up and took to the prairies where they went 37 miles then stopped to sleep.
The description Lewis gave of the Teton is valid today for much of that river as well as most of the other small rivers on the prairies. Consequently they do not help us much in trying to find where the camps are located.